Wednesday, April 29, 2009

E-books


I found this video and I could not get over how pointless it seemed trying to make e-books as realistic as possible.  For me, if I want to turn pages and flip through a book I will go to the bookstore or library.  Call me lazy, but I do not expect to have to turn the pages of an online book.  I find it much easier to just scroll down the page on the Internet.  There are a few times when it seems as if she has difficulties turning the page.  She has actually come up with different methods of turning the "cyber page."  I can kind of understand displaying collectibles and hard to find books in this manner; however, it seems trivial to create an e-book version for Dr. Seuss books.  I think Bolter poses a good question when he talks about "what challenges digital media will pose for print" (Bolter 6).  It's possible that more people might begin writing strictly for the computer if the pages of the book are realistic.  This will be especially useful for those who have touch screen computers because then it really will feel like turning the page of an actual book.  An added benefit is that the price of the book can be considerably cheaper because consumers will not have to pay for the ink and paper.  Publishing on the internet will also allow books to reach more people. I personally prefer to from the actual book rather than the Internet because I feel that there is less of a strain on my eyes.  While I do not think that print will ever become obsolete, I do feel that more and more people will consider reading and publishing on the Internet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment