Wednesday, April 29, 2009

German Shepherds



Well, I can't for the life of me find the video I was looking for, so I will just try to explain what it was and what its importance is for me.  On Animal Planet, I saw an episode where a German Shepherd had been rescued from the pound.  The owners worked with her and helped her become very personable.  They could tell that she was very good with other people so she got a job working at a local high school with the counselor.  Apparently, the dogs presence does numbers for the students who are going through difficult times and need to meet with the counselor.  The students normally sit in the office and either pet or brush the dog and it helps to take their mind off of their own issues.  It also helps them to talk about their problems without really focusing on the fact that they are pouring their hearts out.  The reason this video touched me so deeply is because I happen to have a 2 year old solid black German Shepherd (she is the picture on my profile).  Well technically she was imported from Czechoslovakia so she is a little smaller than the average German Shepherd.  She is the most amazing dog and my best friend.  She is a loving companion and I am very confident that she would do just about anything to protect me.  I feel that she definitely has the personality to become a counseling dog.  Any time a person reaches down to pet her, she immediately flops over and wants you to love her belly.  Her ears don't stand up which is unusual so I can guarantee she won't be winning any dog shows, but she has won my heart and I would love to have the opportunity one day to use her to help put smiles on children's faces.  
Here is a link to read more information on German Shepherds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment